SustainabilityStrategy & Organisation
Sustainable attitude is closely integrated into Unibail-Rodamco's day-to-day operating, development and investment activities. The Group's sustainability strategy is designed to return reliable and quantifiable performance improvements over the long term.
The organization used to manage sustainability issues is designed to:
- drive performance improvements from the top down and the bottom up,
- ensure that this strategy is informed by the needs and expectations of stakeholders.
The Corporate Sustainability Committee (CSC) develops the Group's sustainability strategy, sets ambitious social and environmental targets, and monitors results. It provides regular feedback to the Management Board and the Supervisory Board.
Teams at corporate, regional and local level are responsible for implementing performance measures. They monitor performance using a system of in-house targets and key performance indicators.
When responsibility for improving performance is shared with other stakeholders, Unibail-Rodamco cooperates with them to identify and work towards common goals. In situations where results depend on factors that cannot be controlled, such as weather conditions, the Group works to leverage opportunities and to identify and mitigate risks.
Measuring and checking performance
Unibail-Rodamco develops and validates its strategy and achievements in cooperation with expert third parties. For example:
- Since 2012, and according to the Article 225 requirements (French Grenelle law), Ernst & Young has performed an in-depth review of the Group's disclosures regarding the Article's 42 items and 32 key performance indicators.
- Ernst & Young delivered in 2011 an attestation on the compliancy of Unibail-Rodamco's 2011 Annual and Sustainable Development Report with the level B+ of the Global Reporting Initiative Construction & Real Estate Sector Supplement reporting framework (GRI3.1 CRESS published in 2011).
- Ernst & Young delivered a limited assurance report on selected environmental and human resources information and indicators in 2011
- Ernst & Young audited the Group's CO2/visit Key Performance Indicator in both 2009 and 2010,
- Bureau Veritas has confirmed that the Sustainable Attitude is a functional and relevant system that supports the Group's policy of continuous improvement. Bureau Veritas is a world leader in health, safety, security and environmental management and certification,
- The environmental certification BREEAM is used to assess and certify the environmental performance of all new developments and extensions of more than 10,000 m2.
- The environmental certification BREEAM-In-Use is used since 2011 to assess and certify the environmental performance of the existing managed portfolio.
Participation in external organizations
As a responsible corporate citizen, Unibail-Rodamco has an opportunity and a responsibility to encourage the industry as a whole to adopt more sustainable operating practices.
Within the European Public Real Estate Association (EPRA), Unibail-Rodamco has made a significant contribution to the definition of consistent, shared key performance indicators for the industry. The indicators reported in the 2014 Annual and Sustainable Development Report complies with the 2nd edition of the Best Practice Recommendations on sustainability reporting (sBPR), published by EPRA in September 2014 (see pages 126-129). The Group is an active member in the EU Public Affairs Committee (EPAC) and co-chairs the sustainability group of the International Council of Shopping Centres (ICSC), chairs the sustainability committee of the French Council of Shopping Centres (CNCC) and is a member of the sustainability committee of the French Property Real Estate Association (FSIF).
2014 Limited assurance report of Ernst & Young